Thursday 1 January 2015

Top Ten Books I Read In 2014

Not counting rereads (which I happily did a lot more of than in previous years), and in no particular order, these are the books I really loved in 2014...


1. Beauty by Robin McKinley. A gorgeous rendering of Beauty and the Beast, made all the more captivating in audiobook form.

2. Enchanted by Alethea Kontis. A retelling of the Frog Prince (mashed up with other fairy tales), this was a really fun and lovely audiobook.

3. Chaos Walking by Patrick Ness. I'm cheating by including the whole series here, but it is really AMAZING and everyone should GO READ IT NOW.

4. False Colours by Georgette Heyer. I love, love, loved this story of twins switching places in Regency England - Heyer is a happy place kind of read, and it was extra fun in audiobook.

5. You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sarra Manning. Another fantastic audiobook (I'm sensing a pattern here), I related to Neve and her story so much it was scary.

6. Zombies Vs Unicorns, edited by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier. The literary equivalent of a dance off, the short stories featuring - you guessed it - zombies and unicorns in this book are by turns delightful, hilarious and touching.

7. About a Boy by Nick Hornby. I had low expectations due to hating the only other Hornby book I've tried (High Fidelity), but I ended up loving this darkly humorous story - and I listened to it in a fabulous audiobook of course.

8. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This. Book. It was utterly heartbreaking but completely worth it.

9. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling. I read this at the very beginning of the year and it instantly became one of my all-time faves.

10. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I actually listened to a bunch of Wilde's plays performed via audiobook and they were all great, but I loved this one the most.

9 comments:

  1. I love We Were Liars Too <3

    And I'm loving your audiobook theme! I need to get into more audio. Hope you find awesome books this year x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both Beauty and Enchanted! There's a certain elegance to Alethea's fairy tale mash up.

    I haven't read False Colours but I have read Georgette Heyer and really enjoyed her books so I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MAX AND NEVE MAX AND NEVE MAX AND NEVE MAX AND NEVE!

    Ahem. Have you read Miranda Hart's audio? I haven't read Mindy Kalings but I watched the first season of The Mindy Project and it's a similar, albeit Americanised, style to Miranda. Less awesome because of the lack of British accents. But you may like it too.

    I like Nick Hornby books, but I don't think I loved High Fidelity as much. Though I was reading it when I adopted my babycat Charlie and I remember lying down so that Charlie would go to sleep (she was a very hyper just adopted kitten) on the day she came home with me and she kept meowing because she couldn't see my face when she was lying on my chest so I put the book down and fell asleep with her. Fun story. But that's really my fondest memory of the book. I really liked A Long Way Down too, which I think is being released as a movie this year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the information, I was your loyal visitors , and therefore I ask my permission to attach information about the health below , may be useful for all ..

    Diabetes Information
    Asam Urat Information
    Stroke Information
    Healty Information
    Hipertensi

    ReplyDelete
  5. The article is quite interesting .and makes me want to visit again in the future to read the latest articles from your article...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing in this article obat perangsang wanita , I can learn a lot and obatlibido.com could also be a reference I hope to read the next your article update obat perangsang pria I can learn a lot and could also be a reference kunjungi website I hope to read the next your article update obat perangsang wanita alami , Thank you for sharing in this article obat perangsang untuk wanita I can learn a lot and could also be a reference I hope to read the next your article update obat perangsang buah , I can learn a lot and could also be a reference obat perangsang I hope to read the next your article update Thank you for sharing in this article

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to thank you for this very good read and i have bookmarked to check out new things from your post. Thank you very much for sharing such a useful article and will definitely save and revisit your site.
    eniac full form in computer
    dvd full form
    sit full form
    pcc full form
    iucn full form
    full form of lcd
    brics full form
    tally erp full form
    full form of ctbt
    crpf full form

    ReplyDelete