Tuesday 4 September 2012

Top Ten Books On My Spring TBR List


I can't believe it's spring already! It's exciting - that feeling is in the air that things are improving (even if it's just the weather) - but at the same time it's terrifying. The year is going crazy-quick. It feels like I just wrote my winter TBR list. Embarrassingly, I didn't finish a single book on that list. I started one (The Jelly Bean Crisis by Jolene Stockman) but I haven't finished it yet. So I could pretty much just repost the winter list - but, with my TBR pile numbering in the hundreds, I think I can manage a whole new list. This time, I'm going to try really hard to get through them all before summer. So, in no particular order, I want to read:


1. Speechless by Hannah Harrington. I've wanted to read Saving June for awhile, and Harrington's second novel has been getting lots of great reviews, so I'm very keen to read it soon.

2. Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. I feel like everyone I follow has read and loved this book. All the raving has moved it straight to the top of my TBR pile.

3. Night Beach by Kirsty Eager. I've been wanting to read a Kirsty Eager book for ages, because, well, they all sound good, plus she's Australian (local love!), and, of course, a lot of my Goodreads and blogging friends give her books great reviews. It just so happens I got my hands on Night Beach recently, so I'll be reading this one first.

4. Every Day by David Levithan. David Levithan is another author I've been meaning to read for awhile - I loved Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, which he wrote with Rachel Cohn, so it will be good to check out one of his solo works. This one has such an interesting concept - every day "A" wakes up in a different body, with a different life.

5. We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. A few people have recommended this book to me, and after recently watching the movie, I'm extra curious to read it.

6. Carrie by Stephen King. Seeing updates about the upcoming adaptation with Chloe Grace Moretz reminded me that I've been wanting to read Carrie for awhile.

7. Throne of Glass by Sarah J Mass. This book has received mixed reviews in my circle of friends, but I like the sound of the twist on the classic Cinderella tale - especially the kick-ass heroine.

8. Beautiful Music For Ugly Children by Kirstin Cronn-Mills. I haven't come across a book with a trans* protagonist before so I'm super interested to check this out. It sounds great.

9. The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde. My lovely mum bought me a Kindle last week, and I've been on a mad downloading bender ever since. There are so many awesome free ebooks available! This is one of them that I'm particularly excited to read.

10. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill. I've been meaning to read this one ever since I saw the trailer for the movie last year. I still haven't gotten around to it - which means I haven't seen the movie yet, either (I wanted to read the book first). I want to do both soon!

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

What's at the top of your spring (or autumn) TBR pile?

31 comments:

  1. Wow! Great list Belle :) I have such a massive TBR pile too, but I'm about to go back to uni and I don't know if I'll get through many more before Summer. Enjoy Speechless, I LOVED it. I must get my hands on Saving June now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maree. I can't wait for summer, I only get two weeks off but I plan on doing lots of reading. I struggle to find time for it too these days.

      Delete
  2. Every Day is so good! I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was too scared to go back and look at my winter list to see if I actually managed to tick any off - probably not! Speechless is awesome, you already know I liked that one! I'm picking up a copy of Saving June ASAP too. And I love We Need To Talk About Kevin - it is an amazing book. It may scare the pants off you ever having a baby though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that! Which kind of makes me scared to read it. But my curiosity will get the better of me...

      Delete
  4. We need to Talk about Kevin is very, very powerful.


    Here's my Top Ten Books I'm Awaiting This Fall. I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've heard. The movie was very intense.

      Delete
  5. Oscar Wilde is great, I am sure you will enjoy The Canterville Ghost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, Anne! I really like The Picture of Dorian Gray, which is the only Wilde I've read so far.

      Delete
  6. I have the book "We Need to Talk about Kevin" but I haven't gotten around to it. I hope you get a chance to read all your books listed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I really want to read Throne of Glass, Night Beach and Speechless. They all look so good. Good luck on reading them. I know I didn't do very good on my Summer Reading list either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me. I'm not doing well on any of my challenges, either.

      Delete
  8. Ah, we have so many similar books on our TBR soon list. (Although it still weirds me out that you guys are going into spring and I'm going into fall.) I really liked SPEECHLESS, STORMDANCER, and EVERY DAY, and I just got NIGHT BEACH! I have yet to read CARRIE, THRONE OF GLASS, and the Lionel Shriver book, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird for us at Christmas when everything is centred around snow and coldness, and we're in the middle of summer! I love it though. I'm glad you liked Speechless, Stormdancer and Every Day, I'm really excited to read them! Looking forward to seeing what you think of Night Beach and the others, if you get to them.

      Delete
  9. Great list! I haven't read Carrie either so I should add it to my TBR. I really want to read Every Day too and haven't read anything else by him but will check out your review of Dash & Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to know if you try Dash & Lily.

      Delete
  10. I love that it's Spring for you!
    I've got Stormdancer and Throne of Glass on my list too :)
    Good luck reading them all!
    http://aboveaveragebelowspecial.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/top-ten-tuesday-autumn-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that it's spring too! The weather is great, can't wait to read in the sunshine.

      Delete
  11. Definitely read The Woman in Black before seeing the movie. I watched the movie beforehand, and I don't think I can handle the book now. It would've been better if I had been patient and read the book first. Great list! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, you have a good list of horror books to read! Carrie is fantastic but I haven't read The Woman In Black yet. I'll probably wait until the movie is out and watch it before I read it. Such a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been craving a bit of horror lately. That's weird, isn't it? lol

      Delete
  13. I still need to read Throne of Glass too! I'm excited about Stormdancer...sounds like such a fun, unique concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely sounds unique - which is refreshing!

      Delete
  14. The Woman in Black is superb. It was a tv movie several years back and scared the heck out of me... so much so that I bought the book :-)
    I hope you'll enjoy Carrie too; I think Stephen King's novels from the 70s and 80s are more enjoyable than his more recent ones. They have a touch of humour and a very authentic voice.
    Next on my list to read is Paving the New Road by Sulari Gentill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out the TV movie once I've read the book!

      Delete
  15. We Need to Talk about Kevin is absolutely brilliant. I hope you, well, enjoy probably isn't the word..appreciate it.

    I'm looking forward to reading Speechless and Stormdancer, too, and The Woman in Black looks wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete