Tuesday 30 April 2013

Top Ten Words That Make Me Pick Up A Book

1. Whimsy. I love anything quirky, unusual, lovely and magical.

"Am I whimsical yet?"

2. Road trip. The open road, the endless opportunities, the music, the company, the food... who doesn't love a road trip? Or reading about one, at least.

I wish I was road tripping right now.

3. Contemporary. Lately I have been a bit addicted to contemporary fiction. I think it's because of my extended paranormal hangover.

OK it's not a book but Skins is contemporary. And also giving me a lot of feels right now.

4. Fairy tale. I love fairy tales in any form - originals, retellings, Disney adaptations...

Oooh, shiny...

5. Australia. It's nice to read books set in my home territory.

'Strayla mate.

6. New York. One of the best cities in the world, it naturally makes an awesome setting.

In New Yoooooooooooork (sorry, had to).

7. Russia. I've studied Russian history since high school and the place fascinates me. I love to read anything set there, especially during the time periods I'm familiar with.

Sorry if this guy haunts your dreams tonight.

8. Summer. Summer goes hand in hand with romance. And holidays. And ice cream. And lens flare cover photos.

I'm a sucker for the sun.

9. Classic. Although I haven't read many lately, I love collecting the classics. Especially when they have gorgeous covers.

A gorgeous guy doesn't hurt either.

10. Movie adaptation. I love reading books before watching their movie adaptations, and it's often the movie coming out that gives me the kick up the butt to actually pick up the book.

BRB crying...


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

19 comments:

  1. Movie adaption and whimsy get me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that one might be up your alley ;)

      Delete
  2. I had Russia on my list as well - I grew up learning European history, and it wasn't until late high school (and Modern History) that I started studying Russian history, so I'm a bit fascinated by it. Especially pre-Soviet Russia. Although I also get overwhelmed by the sheer size and density of the books that Russian literature seems to attract. Have you read Sergei Lukyanenko's Watch books (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch)? They're Russian urban fantasy, and they're SO GOOD - exploring the battle between light and dark, good and evil.
    Definitely agree with contemporary. I only really got into contemporaries last year, and I've been (slightly) obssessed ever since.
    And I find that I love the idea of faerie-tale retellings, but not always the execution. Though I do enjoy seeing how the author has used and adapted the source material - especially what they've chosen to leave out and in. So cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started studying Russia in Modern History in high school too :) I haven't read any Russian literature yet, just books set there, but I would love to read the classics. I'll have to check out the Watch books, sound great!
      You're right, the retellings are sometimes better in theory than practice. Kate Forsyth's Bitter Greens, a Rapunzel retelling, is pretty great.

      Delete
  3. I love books that take place in New York! It reminds me of home. :) Also, movie adaptations are my weak spot. I love them, I love seeing how the movie has changed the book in the adaptation. And even though that makes some people furious, it has recently developed into something I love about movie adaptations.
    Great list!

    My Top Ten
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love seeing how movie adaptations, well, adapt the book too! So interesting to see what stays the same and what changes.

      Delete
  4. What movie is the bottom GIF from? I'd love to read a book about a dog dressed up in a pink uniform costume :-). I'm very interested in Russian related books as well. I haven't found many YA books with Russian influence. There was Shadow and Bone, which was great and also Gathering Storm, which didn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's from Never Let Me Go :) Awesome, and heartbreaking. I really want to read Shadow and Bone.

      Delete
  5. OMG Awesome list.
    Very funny!
    And I love it that you picked Richard Armitage from North & South.
    LOVE HIM.
    I'm also a sucker for fairy tales. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obsessed. One of my co-workers got to meet him today, soooo jealous.

      Delete
  6. Great list! I especially love #1. I love me some whimsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your list! I didn't think of including countries or particular settings, never crossed my mind, but I'd definitely include Aus. in that case, and Tassie (where I'm from - and there aren't that many books set there!).

    Plus: mmmmmmm Richard Armitage.....
    Has to be one of the best BBC adaptations of one of the best Classic novels!

    My Top Ten Tuesday list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta agree, North and South is an amazing adaptation! I think I've only read one book set in Tassie.

      Delete
  8. YAY for Russia, Australia, and Classics! I love when I see Russia on people's list because I always feel like I'm the only one who is madly in love with reading about the culture and people and history. I wish I did it even more than I already do.

    But seriously - Great list! And I love the gifs ;)

    My list: http://yearningtoread.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-ten-tuesday-wordstopics-that.html

    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love reading about Russia so much, and I agree I want to read more!

      Delete
  9. Yay for whimsy! And Russia. And YES that gif is a tad creepy, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whimsy and fairy tales are definitely words that pique my interest. And I agree on movie adaptations, I've been reading so many of those lately just to make it before the movies. And then truthfully, I'm often hesitant to watch the movie if I enjoyed the book because I don't want it affecting my love for the book. I'm weird like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, but I just love analysing the way they've been adapted.

      Delete