Thursday 25 April 2013

Review: Black Painted Fingernails by Steven Herrick

It's going to be hard for me to review Black Painted Fingernails because a) I've had reviewer's block which means b) I read this over a month ago, but also because c) It was a very "meh" book for me. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it - it was just OK.

James does everything right. Despite being an adult at uni, he's still very much a mummy's boy. He does what his parents want him to do and never puts a foot wrong. Until a random, wild girl named Sophie ambushes her way into his car (and, predictably, his heart) on a roadtrip into the country. James abandons his plans, his direction and all contact with his parents as Sophie takes him on the ride of his life. But she's hiding a secret, of course.

So... having summarised the plot, I can't think of much more to say about this book. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's nothing particularly great either. It's a quick read but a little boring in parts - especially the chapters told from the POV of James' parents, whose empty nest syndrome didn't particularly interest me. James himself was quite bland and Sophie's "dark" secret and wild personality felt underdeveloped. I just didn't connect with the characters in any significant way. I did enjoy the depiction of the landscape and country towns. But my favourite part of the book was the title. It made me want to paint my nails. I think that says it all, really.

Rating: 3/5

Fine Print
Published: 2011, Allen & Unwin
Get It:  Book Depository

6 comments:

  1. It's funny because I've felt very much the same way about reading and posting in general, so I totally know how you feel! Books like this are worse than even the bad ones because they aren't very memorable. I'd rather read a book that gets a more visceral reaction out of me (even if it's a negative one) rather than one that leaves me feeling 'meh.'

    The one good thing I can say about this is that you got one well-done manicure because of it! Cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people seem to be in a bit of a funk lately.
      THanks :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, neat post, I wasn't familiar with this. But I like how you're "stuck" on Game of Thrones right now, awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so hard to review a book which left you with no feelings either way. I've only read one of Steven's book and I was keen to read this.

    Love your nails!

    ReplyDelete