Friday 21 December 2012

Friday Link Dump: Best Books, Dog Gifs and Inspirational People


If you are reading this that means the world didn't end. Unless it's going to happen at midnight. That could be awkward. Anyhoo...

Here are the books that appear most frequently on the 'Best of 2012' lists. I don't think I've read any of them.

Can negative reviews be good for authors? I'm not an author so I can't confirm, but I do know that negative reviews can be helpful for a reader. If every review were positive, how the hell would we know what to read (or not)?!

This article is about the new Twitter feature that allows you to access your old tweets, but I really liked the observation at the end regarding the historical significance of the social network. At no other time has there been such an extensive public record of people's real-time reactions and experiences during world events. It's pretty brilliant when you think about it.

This post of dog gifs is full of happy.

You know what's awesome? People who don't take themselves too seriously - like these writers who don't mind taking the piss.

Also like Barack Obama. Here is reason #463 he is amazeballs.

Humans can really, really suck sometimes. But they can also be amazing and inspiring and heartwarming. Especially people like these.

And these. The 26 Acts campaign is inspiring people to perform 26 random acts of kindness to honour the victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting. I really want to do this, it's such a good idea and what people have already done is amazing.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the first thing - the books that appear most frequently on lists. Nice find! I've only read one of them (and didn't like it) and I've not heard of most of the others though.

    The 26 Acts campaign is amazing. I nearly cried when I read about it on Facebook the other day. There are so many amazing people in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I want to take part but I need to figure out the right thing to do.

      Delete