- Craig Silvey's wonderful, beautiful prose that perfectly encaptures the whimsy, imagination and uncertainty of childhood.
- The gorgeous illustrations and design of the book overall. It has a really cool vintage vibe and is just lovely.
- The Masked Avenger, a lonely 12-year-old boy by day and a fearless hero at night, who saves his neighbourhood from evil - and flat tyres. He has so much heart, I just wanted to give him a hug.
- Richie the Powerbeagle, The Masked Avenger's trusty sidekick, who has an in-built alarm system (a.k.a. muzzle), trouble detection (a.k.a. nose), ocular friend/foe identification (a.k.a. eyes) and a semaphorical communication device (a.k.a. tail).
- It's about the power of gemstones and metals and the natural wonders of the earth, and makes me want to have an Amazing Powerbelt of my own.
- It's also about love, and loneliness, and family, and friendship, and frustrated dreams, and fulfilling dreams, and life-changing moments, and the way we're all connected.
- It showcases the best side of humanity and gives you hope that there are people out there who just want the best for you, even if you don't know it.
- It's funny, and touching, and a little heartbreaking but a lot more heartwarming.
- It will only take you an hour to read but it will put a smile on your face for longer than that.
- Do you really need any more reasons? OK, how about because I said so? No, seriously, you won't regret it.
This one time I met Craig Silvey and I totally fangirled.