Friday 7 December 2012

Friday Links: Marchetta News, Dying Libraries and Alex Mack



I've been hyperventilating all week because JIMMY HALLIER is back. Also, Saving Francesca is being made into a movie. So much Marchetta awesomeness.

What do your bookshelves say about you? I love the idea that books are like photographs for readers, representing who you were at a particular time in your life. 

A eulogy for Fisher Library at Sydney uni. Tear. On a more positive note: this slideshow of the best college libraries in America makes my mouth water a little bit.

This Facebook page of "reviews" of books that are TL;DR makes me laugh. My fave: "1984 by George Orwell. A book about events that happened 28 years ago, published 35 years earlier. Irrefutable proof that time travel is possible."

Last month Harlequin launched their new digital imprint Escape Publishing and it's currently open for submissions.


Can season three of Game of Thrones come out already?! Here's a peek behind the scenes of production. Squee!

The Hawkeye Initiative is highlighting the ridiculousness of how women are portrayed in comics by rejigging the art to feature Hawkeye. Brilliant.

The Muppet Christmas Carol is not only the greatest A Christmas Carol adaptation, it's also the best Christmas movie, IMO. Here are 25 reasons it rocks.

Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield are the cutest couple of the year. Officially. If they break up, I will be devastated. Unless she hooks up with Ryan Gosling and he gets with Rachel McAdams. Or they all get together and form one big polygamous family of adorable.


Julia Gillard's apocalypse speech is probably the most awesome thing she's ever done. Aside from, you know, being Australia's first female prime minister or whatever.

This has to be the greatest selfie ever taken.

Here are 45 powerful images from 2012. 

Having a bad day? Laugh at these people. That's not mean, right? Ahem.

Where is Alex Mack now? And did she ever take the cure? The answers might surprise you.

YouTube Clip of the Week
This made me smile.

 

12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for the Saving Francesca film!!! We'll have to organise a blogger meet up to go see it :D

    And I think my shelves wouldn't look all to different, my love of YA would keep them about the same :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I didn't think I could get any more excited but now I totally am. Blogger meet up is a brilliant idea!

      Delete
  2. You're soooo right about how bookshelves are photographs for readers!!!! :)))) I loved that quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit - the awesome Stephanie at Read in a Single Sitting came up with that. It's a great analogy though.

      Delete
    2. *preens* Thanks so much for the link, Belle!

      And that TL;DR page is awesome!

      Delete
  3. I studied abroad in Sydney and attended Sydney Uni. I'm sad, but not surprised about Fisher Library. The amount of books the library had within its collection was pretty remarkable. I think I went there every day. Still, the library did need an update. Most of the works in the collection were collecting dust. As a librarian, I do find that when works do not circulate, changes need to be made. Libraries need to update with the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. It's hard to watch things change if it's not necessarily for the better though.

      Delete
  4. OHHH ALEX MACK!!! I used to adore that when I was younger, although the main thing that flashes through my head is a voice saying "ALEX MACK, WEARS A HAT!" I don't know if that was real or I just made it up...

    And God, the 'Having a Bad Day?' list isn't my usual type of thing, but I laughed until I cried at the arm wrestling one and after that I just couldn't stop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think that was a YouTube video of all her hats. She wore a lot of them.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all the links! I went clicking like crazy!!
    :D The Alex Mack article was lots of fun to read, I used to love the show, and I screamed a little when I found out about Jimmy! I love Jimmy.

    And the game of thrones... LOL

    So many awesome linkage :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you found some things you like.

      Delete