Tuesday 9 July 2013

Top Ten Movie Adaptations

1. Jane Eyre (2011), based on Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It packs a lot into its limited running time, and manages to capture the emotions and feel of Bronte's classic beautifully. Plus Michael Fassbender.


2. The Princess Bride (1987), based on The Princess Bride by William Goldman. It's so faithful to the book and just plain awesome.



3. The Notebook (2004), based on The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks. One of those rare movie adaptations that's actually better than the book. Much, much better.



4. Never Let Me Go (2010), based on Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Gorgeous, heartbreaking movie to fit a gorgeous, heartbreaking book.



5. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962), based on To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. The acting is a highlight of this classic adaptation.


6. The Secret Garden (1993), based on The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. It may not always be faithful to the letter but it is very faithful to the spirit of the book, filled with the same whimsy and magic that's present in the original.


7. The Last Unicorn (1982), based on The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Sure, the animation isn't exactly high-tech, but it does manage to convey a lot of the same beautiful imagery that's in Beagle's book. Such a strange, kinda creepy but magical tale.


8. Clueless (1995), based on Emma by Jane Austen. It says a lot about both the movie and the novel that studying them in high school didn't forever sap my enjoyment of them. On a superficial level Clueless doesn't have a lot in common with Emma, but below the surface they are clearly kindred spirits.



9. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992), based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. It's just not Christmas without this book or movie. And Gonzo as Dickens? Pure genius.



10. Little Women (1994), based on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. A gorgeous movie that hits all the right emotional notes. Which means a few laughs and a helluva lot of tears.



Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful choices, Belle! I'd have to say The Princess Bride definitely tops my picks and though I've never read Emma, I do love Clueless!

    As for The Notebook... that movie tore me apart, lit me on fire and then flushed my ashes right down the toilet. I don't think I can ever watch it again, it broke my heart so much. So yeah, the book is a definite NO for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Muppet Christmas Carol is one of the best Dickens adaptations every. It's probably my favorite Xmas movie.

    I loved The Secret Garden. I also loved A Little Princess, made around the same time. That was a great movie, but very very different from the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree about the Muppet Christmas Carol! And I loved A Little Princess as a kid too, I actually prefer it to the book!

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh I can't believe I forgot about The Princess Bride! I love that movie.

    Clueless is a fave as well - great example of a modern day twist on a classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Princess Bride is probably my all time favourite movie!

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I forgot Clueless! I loved that film for so many years. Great list (and I also like your book rating system in your sidebar!) :)
    Ciara @ Books are my Bling

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Clueless! And The Notebook was a good movie... DEFINITELY better than the book. I'm glad I saw the movie first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The book was actually pretty terrible.

      Delete
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird was so great. Loved both the book and the movie!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the movie version of THE NOTEBOOK (Ryan Gosling in the rain. Yes), but I can't bring myself to ever read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot Never Let Me Go, that was definitely an excellent adaptation. Heart-wrenching, just like the book.

    I've seen lots of adaptations of Jane Eyre over the years but my favourite is still the most recent BBC mini-series (not a movie so not on my list sadly) starring Toby Stephens (Maggie Smith's son) as Rochester. Absolutely brilliant version. I wasn't as keen on the Fassbender one. Great cinematography and I can see what they were trying to do by chopping up the scenes in a non-linear way, but overall I just didn't like is as much. I guess I'm a bit hard to please when it comes to JE as it's one of my favourite books. :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the BBC mini-series too, it's a great adaptation. I love Jane Eyre too, but it's been awhile since I read it so perhaps that's why the changes in the movie didn't bother me so much.

      Delete
  9. I don't know your name so I'm just going to refer to you as 'Belle' as your Blog indicates, so, very well done Belle! I love this list. I would pretty much agree with every single one. Very much agreeing with the Muppet Christmas Carol, it is a must watch EVERY Christmas in my household! Clueless(that Josh & Cher chemistry is incredible!), The Princess Bride, The Secret Garden (have read this 10+ times, I swear!) and of course The Notebook are my absolute favourites. The Notebook as a novel doesn't do the movie justice (isn't it supposed to be the other way around!? :P )
    Loving your blog Belle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Notebook is one of the few movies where the book isn't as good!

      Delete
  10. I would add Prince Caspian. It's the best adaptation of a book to a movie I've ever seen precisely because it breaks from the plot of the book in order to make the film more true to the story and the emotional journey the characters have to go through. Plus, so inspiring and beautiful!

    I've never read The Princess Bride or Little Women but I LOVE those movies :) I'm glad to hear they're good adaptations of the books.

    I was almost surprised when I read The Last Unicorn of how faithful the movie actually was but how there was a whole other layer of magic to the story in the book. Both are well done, I think, despite how dated the movie is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that one! I just haven't got around to it yet, I should watch it one of these days.
      The Princess Bride and LW are both great books - especially the former.
      The Last Unicorn movie is very dated but I still love watching it. It makes me very nostalgic.

      Delete
  11. AH THIS LIST IS JUST AWESOME! The fact that there are so many films on here that I adore/want to see, and that you used gifs (that secret garden one!) for all of them makes me so incredible happy. You get lots of medals and chocolate and pie for this.

    I've never seen The Last Unicorn- or even heard of it- but I'm going to look it up next because it looks and sounds very interesting.
    I've actually got Jane Eyre from the library to rewatch (I'm reading the book, which is a very amusing experience- Rochester, I feel, is an ass) and I can't wait to see it again, because I really enjoyed it when I first watched it. AND THE PRINCESS BRIDE. That is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Romi! Best comment ever - medals AND chocolate AND pie?!
      I grew up watching The Last Unicorn, I'm not sure if it would translate to an adult watching it for the first time because it is quite dated. But the book is sublime. Worth a read for sure.
      I'm almost afraid to reread Jane Eyre as I haven't read it since I was at uni and I'm worried I'll hate Rochester.

      Delete
  12. I love so many of these: Jane Eyre, Clueless, The Princess Bride! And now I want to read/listen to Little Women so I can watch the movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love, love, love the movie. The book is great too but a little preachy in places.

      Delete