Tuesday 30 July 2013

Top Ten Opening Lines


1. "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night." - David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. 

2. "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone... she was no longer the careless colour of sea foam, but rather the colour of snow falling on a moonlit night." - The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.

3. "My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die. I counted. It happened on the Jellicoe Road." - On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

4. "First the colours. Then the humans. That’s how I usually see things. Or at least, how I try. ***Here is a small fact*** You are going to die." - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

5. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

6. "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - 1984 by George Orwell.

7. "All children, except one, grow up." - Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie.

8. "Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that... Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail." - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.

9. "This is my favourite book in all the world, though I have never read it." The Princess Bride by William Goldman.

10. "Jasper Jones has come to my window. I don't know why, but he has." - Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

25 comments:

  1. I need to read On the Jellicoe Road and The Book Thief! They've been on everyone's lists today!

    Great picks!
    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the beginning to Peter Pan, and I'll have to read The Princess Bride soon! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/07/29/lines/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Princess Bride book is as awesome as the movie!

      Delete
  3. The Last Unicorn opening line is really beautiful. Normally fantasy isn't my genre, but that line really pulls me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautifully written book, and I think it's a great read even for non-fantasy readers. It's not too thick or intense. Just lovely.

      Delete
  4. Great list! Especially from Rebecca, and The Last Unicorn :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all these quotes - great list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these especially Rebecca, The Last Unicorn, and On the Jellicoe Road. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good list, The Book Thief is one of my favorite books and has a great beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing is just so gorgeous! IT's one of my faves too.

      Delete
  8. Some lovely choices, hun! Espesh The Book Thief <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to reread The Book Thief soon I think! Such a beautiful book.

      Delete
  9. I badly need to read Jellicoe Road. The Book Thief made my list as well and oh, I love the inclusion of Peter Pan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All good ones! I'd add A Tale of Two Cities to that list.

    Random question - have you ever been to New Zealand (the coast) in the summer time? We're thinking of taking a cruise at the end of January 2014 that leaves out of Sydney and goes along the coast of New Zealand. What would the temperatures be like? Cold? I envision New Zealand being a rather chilly place year round. Kinda like Seattle, but I could be completely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven;t read A Tale of Two Cities but the opening line is iconic. I'll have to read it one of these days.

      I've never been to New Zealand (I want to one of these days!), but a co-worker grew up there. She says it's lovely in the summer and warm, but on the water it probably would be quite cold. She suggested the best way to see it is on land.
      Hope that helps.
      Yay for travel!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful quotes and openings and words are beautiful. I love so many of these, but especially Princess Bride (obviously) and Peter Pan. Though Peter Pan creeped me out more than enthralled me, I still love those words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Pan is definitely creepy and a lot darker than many people think!

      Delete
  12. I love opening lines. I did a big display at work once about first lines of novels. That is the end of my anecdote. Though I am sad there isn't HP on that list :P

    ReplyDelete