Tuesday, 30 July 2013
Top Ten Opening Lines
1. "Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night." - David Copperfield by Charles Dickens.
2. "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone... she was no longer the careless colour of sea foam, but rather the colour of snow falling on a moonlit night." - The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle.
3. "My father took one hundred and thirty-two minutes to die. I counted. It happened on the Jellicoe Road." - On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.
4. "First the colours. Then the humans. That’s how I usually see things. Or at least, how I try. ***Here is a small fact*** You are going to die." - The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
5. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
6. "It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen." - 1984 by George Orwell.
7. "All children, except one, grow up." - Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie.
8. "Marley was dead: to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that... Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail. Mind! I don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. I might have been inclined, myself, to regard a coffin-nail as the deadest piece of ironmongery in the trade. But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done for. You will therefore permit me to repeat, emphatically, that Marley was as dead as a door-nail." - A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens.
9. "This is my favourite book in all the world, though I have never read it." The Princess Bride by William Goldman.
10. "Jasper Jones has come to my window. I don't know why, but he has." - Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey.
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.