Friday 24 August 2012

Bookish Links: Must Reads, Sculptures and Great Expectations

Image via Hyperbole and a Half

I've been thinking of doing a links round-up feature for awhile, mainly because I spend a helluva lot of time online, and in my travels I find some pretty cool stuff (and, occasionally, some pretty dodgy stuff). I usually share sites or posts I love on Twitter, but I thought it couldn't hurt to put them all in one place here on the blog. The plan is to post these bookish links every Friday. To kick things off...

100 novels everyone should read
The latest list telling you how lacking your literary adventures are comes courtesy of The Telegraph in the UK. I've only read 12, plus half-finished two more:
-To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (my review)
-Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
-The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde  by Robert Louis Stevenson
-Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
-The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
-The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (my review)
-The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
-Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
-Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
-David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
-Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
-Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
-Half: Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (I started reading it for uni, but didn't finish because I found out how it ended)
-Half: One Thousand and One Nights (I got half way through and needed a break. I haven't picked it up since)

Six (plus) degrees of separation
Small Demons is a new site that catalogues the people, places and other things mentioned in books - and how they connect to other books. It is addictive and so much fun.

Fifty Shades Generator
Randomly generate your own 50 Shades-inspired story, or just get the instant hit you need for... laughs. Definitely for laughs. I would post some here, but then I would have to blush. A lot.

Amazing book sculptures
Kelly Campbell Berry has created some stunning 3D book art with upcycled classics. My favourite is the appropriately creepy Dracula.



Great Expectations trailer
I love me a movie adaptation, so I was excited to see that the trailer for the upcoming Great Expectations is doing the rounds. I love the casting of Helena Bonham Carter as Miss Havisham, though I'm not convinced on the actors for Pip and Estella. Still, it looks good.

 


Finally, here are some non-bookish, but still fun links:

The 20 greatest Cosmo headlines (with hilarious commentary)

Photo diary of a German officer in the Soviet Union during WWII

Naughty dogs are adorably shamed

The most random comments on corporate Facebook pages

Old people who don't know how to use Facebook

Brilliant Calvin & Hobbes gifs

Fuck yeah Tom Daley ('nuff said)

Want more links? 
I know I can never get enough, so shout out to these link-loving ladies:
-Read in a Single Sitting (Bookish news published every day. Super blogger alert!)
-Young Adult Anonymous (Bookmark Binge every Sunday)
-Nylon Admiral (Monday Links published - you guessed it - every Monday)

6 comments:

  1. O GE looks goooooooooood. Helena is perfect for this role. Ok perhaps a tad more dark than I would have pictured but pretty perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how they're highlighting the darker elements of the story. It is pretty creepy!

      Delete
  2. Thank's for the shout out! I absolutely love the dog shaming tumblr, I have no idea who first decided to do something like that, but that's the beauty of the internet!

    Also, I hadn't seen the G.E trailer yet, but I have high hopes for this one, and this looks interesting (at the very least)...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, how refreshing is it to see HBC outside of a Tim Burton film!

      Delete
    2. I know, right? I love his films and I love her in them, but she does some amazing stuff without him. Like The King's Speech!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! Its actually amazing article, I have got
    much clear idea regarding from this piece of writing.


    Feel free to visit my homepage online forums

    ReplyDelete