Thursday 7 November 2013

Review: Crash Into You by Katie McGarry


This series is like the literary equivalent of a Snickers bar: addictive, satisfying, not very good for you but oh-so-delicious. It's not the kind of thing you want all the time, but it's a fun treat on occasions and - dare I say it - a guilty pleasure.

I've seen a lot of comparisons between this series and the Perfect Chemistry series by Simone Elkeles. I get it. They're both focusing on a new couple in each book who are somehow connected to the previous book, with lots of obstacles and tension, and chapters told from both the girl's and guy's perspective. But what I love about this series that I found lacking in the Perfect Chemistry trilogy is that each book, while along a similar vein, has unique characters and plot lines. It doesn't follow the same old formula for every single book, which is very refreshing and makes you want to keep reading more.

Case in point: while Crash Into You follows the whole bad guy from the wrong side of the tracks falls for the good rich girl trope, it takes some twists that you totally don't expect. Although I still love the second book in the series, Dare You To, the most, Crash Into You definitely packed the biggest emotional punch yet. At one point I had to spoil myself because it got so intense. It's interesting and unexpected and yes, melodramatic, but not so much that it makes you roll your eyes. Instead, you just want to race through the pages and find out what happens next.

It helped that I really liked the main couple. I adored Isaiah. I felt so bad for him in Dare You To when Beth broke his heart, and he's still hurting at the beginning of this book, but it's nice to see him find someone new and discover his true feelings. I really liked Rachel, and the fact that she wasn't the typical "good girl", as well as that she was dealing with an anxiety disorder. It's not something you see in YA heroines very much unless it's an "issues" book, and it was dealt with pretty well here.

There were a few plot holes that irritated me a little, but overall I really liked Crash Into You. It's the perfect book for when you just want to switch off and be entertained.

Rating: 4/5

Head Cast

Candice Accola as Rachel

Rafi Gavron as Isaiah

Fine Print
Published: December 2013, Harlequin Teen
Source: Netgalley
Get It: Booktopia

No comments:

Post a Comment