Tuesday 24 July 2012

Top Ten: Books With Vivid Settings


1.The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. This one's a bit of a no brainer, right? Who DOESN'T want to go to Hogwarts? Post-Voldemort, natch. I want to drink Butterbeer with Hagrid and discuss hair potions with Hermione.

2. The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. Sigh. This book is so, so beautiful - and the setting is a big part of that. Just look at these opening lines: "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone... she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night.Vivid, no?

3. The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. From the Ivory Tower to the Desert of Colours, and the from the City of Old Emperors to the Waters of Life, Fantastica contains about a gazillion different settings for the price of one. The various lands are one of the highlights of the book.

4. Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie. Though I can't follow directions very well (second star to the right and straight on till morning!), I just have to open the pages of Peter Pan to visit the mysterious, dark and wonderful world of Neverland any time I want.

5. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. Like The Neverending Story, and to a lesser extent Peter Pan, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is filled with many enchanting - and occasionally terrifying - lands. While everyone is familiar with the Yellow Brick Road and Emerald City, my favourite is the China Village.

6. The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Oh, how I'd love to visit Florin. Mainly to track down Westley and convince him that his True Love is really me, not that ninny Buttercup. I'd also eat peanuts with Fezzik and quote Inigo Montoya to himself.

7. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The evocative descriptions of the magical black and white Night Circus was my favourite thing about this book. Can someone make it happen in real life, please? Only, minus the battle to the death and all that.

8. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. This is one vivid setting that I most definitely don't want to visit. The totalitarian world of Oceana is the stuff nightmares are made of. It's drab, grey, depressing and horrific.

9. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. The Republic of Gilead is another place I wouldn't want to visit in a hurry. The oppressive atmosphere is terrifyingly tangible through the the eyes of strong-minded Offred.

10. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. This is the only book on my list with a real world setting. But it's Paris. That's magic enough in itself. If I didn't already want to travel there, this book would definitely put it on my wish list. Somebody get me a croissant.

What are your fave book settings?

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

33 comments:

  1. I count The Princess Bride among my all time favourite books. That's one that I'd love to live in!

    Fezzik and I would rhyme all day and Inigo would teach me to fence left handed!

    I like your list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Such a great book - and movie!

      Delete
  2. Love the list! I've only read the Harry Potter series and The Night Circus - and agree, both Worlds were spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list! I have only read 3 of them, but I would definitely have to agree with HP and Anna. I read 1984 for school, and I just never get into a book the same when it's for school. I really want to read The Night Circus too!
    My list: http://immabookworm.blogspot.ca/2012/07/top-ten-most-vivid-worldssettings-in.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, having to read books for school really dampens the enjoyment. I was like this with Emma by Jane Austen.

      Delete
  4. Love your Top Ten. I can't believe I left Harry Potter off my list - I always wanted to go the Hogworts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be the only person - I swear it was on everyone's list! lol

      Delete
  5. I have had The Last Unicorn on my TBR list for a long time. I really need to read it soon, it sounds like a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hogwarts! Neverland! OZ!!! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good list, Belle! And THANK YOU for reminding me about Oz. I've been meaning to read the original WIZARD OF OZ story for years (and I mean many, many years) but somehow never got around to it. It's going on my TBR NOW! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I was disappointed when I read it earlier in the year but it's definitely worth a read :)

      Delete
  8. I haven't read Night Circus, but I've heard it is similar to the circus is Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. Can't wait to read Night Circus, specially after reading your description! I have to agree with the Neverending Story, though I didn't think of it myself; Michael Ende has done a great job with the setting in Momo as well. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Something Wicked This Way Comes or Momo! Might have to check them out. Hope you enjoy Night CIrcus!

      Delete
  9. I haven't finished Night Circus, but you're right the locations are soooo vivid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it especially vivid in the interludes with the second person narrative.

      Delete
  10. The Neverending Story is a GREAT book!!! AWESOME choices!! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I forgot all about The Neverending Story!! And I love that you put The Princess Bride on there :) Totally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did too - and I only read it recently! I looked through my review list and it reminded me.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe I didn't think of any of these places while making my list! The Princess Bride is one of my favorite books and I love the world depicted!

    Great list!

    Check out my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice list! I love your inclusion of The Princess Bride and The Wizard of Oz! Two of my favorite worlds that I didn't include :( Oh well next time! Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to do the list because I didn't think I'd have enough to fill it, then when I started writing it I remembered so many!

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful list, Belle. It's amazing how much a setting can make or break a book.

    I watched The Princess Bride for the first time last week and loved it--now to get my hands on the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie! How did you go all your life without seeing TBP?! My all time favourite movie. Glad you enjoyed it - you must read the book!

      Delete
  15. Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    "Who DOESN'T want to go to Hogwarts?"

    True!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anna and the French Kiss TOTALLY made me want to go to Paris! And The Handmaid's Tale is one of the only books I've read that I've found seriously terrifying, it's just too easy to imagine living in a world like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really scary to think how easy it could happen in real life!

      Delete
  17. I completely agree with your entire list! Great picks! Thanks for stopping by! <3 New GFC follower!

    ReplyDelete