Tuesday 15 October 2013

Top Ten Books I Was "Forced" To Read


1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The first time I read this was for a book club. I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise - the idea of Death as a narrator kind of freaked me out. But I am sooo glad I did because it's now one of my faves.

2. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. This was another book club pick that I ended up loving. I wasn't really into dystopia at the time so I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise.

3. Emma by Jane Austen. I had to study it for Year 12 (combined with Clueless for a unit about adaptations) and although it was painful to pick apart at times I still love it.

4. Paradise Lost by John Milton. I would never have picked this up if I hadn't been forced to for one of my classes at uni. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's gorgeous.

5. Le Morte d'Arthur by Thomas Malory. I have always been fascinated by the Arthurian legend so it was awesome to read and analyse this for uni.

6. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown. I had never even heard of this before I had to read it for class. It was love at first read.

7. Evelina by Fanny Burney. I had to study it for a class on the history of women's literature at uni and it was so much fun. Lord Orville, sa-woon.

8. Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell. I totally would have read this even if I wasn't "forced" to for uni, but it was awesome to be able to count it as "work".

9. The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. Yes, I was kinda forced to read this. My friend had been telling me to do it for years and I resisted. One day I picked up the second book and started reading. I hated it. It took another couple of years for my friend to convince me to try again and start from the beginning. So I did. And I was blown away, natch.

10. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares. When I was at uni, studying my English Lit degree, and frankly a bit high-and-mighty, I looked down my nose at my friend who was in love with YA books - and the Sisterhood series in particular. Then for my birthday she bought them for me. So of course I had to read them. And of course I loved them. Off my high horse I fell - and not a moment too soon.

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

18 comments:

  1. I like that you focused on books you were forced to read that you ended up loving. I have read a couple of books on your list, but I was not "forced" to read any of them. Well maybe Harry Potter. One of the kids I babysat for that hated reading loved these books, so for Christmas got them for me and I guess I was forced to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to read a few books, mainly for book club, and sometimes for uni/school, that I HATED. Probably way more than 10 haha

      Delete
  2. I read Emma a few years ago and loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read THE BOOK THIEF but I've heard there will be TEARS and that scares me!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Handmaid's Tale!!! I totally forgot about that! I was forced to read it in an English class in college. I remember thinking it was totally weird and cool. But now with all these dystopians, it would be sort of normal now?? Cool list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's way better than a lot of dystopians out there though

      Delete
  5. You have a great friend to make you read Harry Potter! So glad you decided to give it another shot!

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Book Thief and Harry Potter is my favourite book series! I can reread that series every year and never get bored. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to reread, I haven't reread a book in so long!

      Delete
  7. Those falls of high horses can be some of the most enjoyable experiences, no? :) I'm glad your book club forced you into reading Handmaid's Tale! Such a great book.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I frequently fall and it's not very fun ;)

      Delete
  8. This is such a great list, and there are a few titles I haven't read yet/want to, particularly The Handmaids Tale, which I'm hoping to get to over the summer. I'm glad you found so many great books that you otherwise mightn't have read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I hope you get to read it, it really is an amazing book.

      Delete
  9. Love the handmaid's tale. What a great book. I was "forced" to read Cat's eye, and it started me on a bit of a Margaret Atwood obsession, handmaid's tale was the second of hers I read. They're both incredible books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any other Atwood but I feel like I should!

      Delete