Wednesday 9 October 2013

Mini Review: A Straight Line To My Heart by Bill Condon



I've had this book sitting on my shelf for years. I picked it up because I adored the cover and liked the concept of a budding journalist, Tiffany, dealing with leaving school, starting an internship, and of course finding love and dealing with family problems at the same time.

Unfortunately, A Straight Line to My Heart was very average for me. There were some beautiful lines, but overall I just didn’t connect with the story or characters. Which is strange, because I thought I’d really be able to relate, having grown up with journalistic ambitions of my own.

There was nothing particularly bad about this book. It's a quick read. Covering only a week in Tiffany’s life, there isn’t a big narrative arc; it’s a taste of a girl’s life, rather than a full story. That’s not to say there’s no story - a lot does happen, and there is a decent amount of closure. But it felt like it was just skimming the surface and it all left me strangely unaffected. There were some sweet scenes and some really sad ones but my heart didn’t burst or break at any point.

Maybe it was just that I wasn't in the right mood, because several of my friends have read and loved this book. All it got out of me was a resounding “meh”.

Rating: 3/5

Fine Print
Published: 2012, Allen & Unwin
Get It: Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to care about an MC after such a brief view into their life, so unless there's some serious drama or a powerful character arc, it almost sounds a bit pointless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something major does happen but I didn't feel invested enough in the characters for it to really effect me.

      Delete
  2. It's a shame this was a little disappointing Belle. I've been looking forward to it (mostly because of the journalism tbh) but I may just leave it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I mean other people seem to have enjoyed it more than me but I wouldn't call it a must-read

      Delete