Sunday 3 April 2011

The Movie Was Better: Red Riding Hood

I finally saw the Red Riding Hood movie this week. It was totally craptastic. And I loved it!


After being disappointed by I Am Number Four, reading countless bad reviews of Red Riding Hood, and kinda hating the book version, I was a bit wary going into the cinema. I had a feeling it was going to be pretty bad. But I also hoped that it would be the kind of bad that I liked. Thankfully, it was.

If there's one thing Catherine Hardwicke does well, it's sexual tension. Boy, does it permeate this flick. I think that's what made it so much more exciting and fun than the book. The story was the same, pretty much point by point, but the stunning visuals (they really milked that red cloak!) and soundtrack effectively enhance the mood and play up the characters' emotions of longing and paranoia. Of course, there's still a bunch of plot holes that bugged me and quite a few unintentionally funny moments, but I was entertained and happy - which is what you want from a movie!

Changes that worked
  • As I mentioned, the plot follows the book pretty closely - or, I should say, the book followed the movie pretty closely, because it is a novelisation after all. So there aren't too many differences, but one massive one that really worked was the fact that the whole boring/weird first section of the book isn't in the movie. Funnily enough, without this extra "back story", the motives and actions of all the characters made a lot more sense - including, importantly, Valerie's love for Peter.
  • The actress playing Madame Lazar is even scarier than I pictured her to be in the book.
  • There were a few things that weren't explained very well in the book that were a lot clearer in the movie (like how Valerie obtained the contents of her basket at the end).
  • The ending, believe it or not, was included in the same product! Unlike the book. Yes, I'm still bitter about that.
Changes that didn't
  • (Spoiler alert) The truth about Lucy's parentage is revealed quite early on in the film, whereas in the book it was part of the big twist ending. I'm not sure why they changed this - I think it works better at the end.
  • The snow was pretty, but not much else, apparently. Everyone was running around, quite happily, in thin clothes like it was the middle of summer. It detracted from the movie just a bit (I know, coz everything else was so realistic, right? But it bothered me more than anything else). 
Rating: 4/5 (note: for enjoyment, not quality).

Eye candy
I have no complaints about Amanda Seyfried as Valerie - she was beautiful, as usual. And my, what big eyes she has!


I don't know what it is about Shiloh Fernandez, but he just doesn't do it for me. I still didn't really want Peter or want him to be with Valerie. I think maybe he's just too short (I like tall guys). Although, I'll admit, he did kinda make me swoon in the dance scene. That was hot.


Then there's Max Irons. Oh, Max. I think I'm a little bit in love with him. OK, more than a little bit... I may have spent the past two days googling pictures of him. I hope Max is the breakout star of this film, coz I want to see a lot more of him! He's gorgeous as Henry, who's once again SO MUCH more preferable to bloody Peter. My friend and I were discussing this in our postmortem of the movie, and decided that if they just switched the places of Peter and Henry, the story would be a hundred times better. They screwed up by making the "third wheel" so much more likeable and pretty than the leading man. Poor Henry - he sure had me swooning!


 Earlier

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it more than I did! But I have to say I'm much more of a Shiloh fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was good that my expectations were lowered, so I was pleasantly surprised. The friend that I saw it with hadn't read the book and was really excited to see it, and she didn't really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the movie too! Yeah, it wasn't amazing, but still good. I actually thought the book was way better. I loved the book!It had more details and more of a background story. I have read lots of reviews by people who didn't like it though.

    Not having the ending in the book almost killed it for me. After getting over the anger at it not being there, I can still say I loved it.

    Jennifer of Little Shelf

    ReplyDelete