Wednesday 30 March 2011

My Book Boyfriend: Westley


Now this is my kind of meme. My Book Boyfriend is hosted by The Unread Reader every Wednesday. It's all about fictional boys that make us swoon. I have oh-so-many to choose from, but for my very first MBB post, I've chosen my second love (my first was Prince Eric from The Little Mermaid)...



Westley from The Princess Bride, of course! Obviously, I fell in love with him in the movie first - at seven, I was a bit young to have read the book. When I finally did read it in my teens, I fell in love with him even more. He makes me swoon AND laugh at the same time.

About Westley (spoiler alert!)
  • His hair is blonde and his eyes are like "the high seas before a storm". 
  • He has a hot "strong" body.
  • He starts off working on a farm for Buttercup, then, when they declare their love for one another, he goes to sea to seek his fortune so that he can marry her. 
  • His ship is captured by the Dread Pirate Roberts and Buttercup is told that he's dead - but he really persuades Roberts to let him live. He then learns everything he can and becomes the Dread Pirate Roberts himself (it's kinda like a franchise).
  • He does everything for love - literally. He even dies and comes back to life for love. And rescues the dumb-dumb Buttercup about a bajillion times.
  • He's perfect in every way. I'm not even joking. He always bests the best - Inigo at sword-fighting, Fezzik at hand-to-hand combat, Vizzini in a battle of wits... 
  • He's played by Cary Elwes in the movie - the perfect Westley. My Westley!
Swoon-worthy quotes

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches... I have stayed these years in my hovel because of you. I have taught myself languages because of you. I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. I have lived my life with only the prayer that some sudden dawn you might glance in my direction. I have not known a moment in years when the sight of you did not send my heart careening against my rib cage. I have not known a night when your visage did not accompany me to sleep. There has not been a morning when you did not flutter behind my waking eyelids."
"I love you. Okay? Want it louder? I love you. Spell it out, should I? I ell-oh-vee-ee why-oh-you. Want it backward? You love I... I've been saying it so long to you, you just wouldn't listen. Every time you said, 'Farm Boy, do this', you thought I was answering, 'As you wish', but that's only because you were hearing wrong. 'I love you' was what it was, but you never heard."
"There have been five great kisses since 1642 B.C....Well, this one left them all behind."
"The Queen's Pride was his ship, and he loved her. (That was the way his sentences always went: It is raining today and I love you. My cold is better and I love you. Say hello to Horse and I love you. Like that.)"
"While he was watching the ships, Buttercup shoved him with all her strength remaining... down went the man in black...'You can die too for all I care,' she said, and then she turned away. Words followed her. Whispered from afar, weak and warm and familiar. 'As...you...wish...'"
"This is true love — you think this happens every day?"
"There is a shortage of perfect breasts in this world; 'twould be a pity to damage yours."

14 comments:

  1. Love The Princess Bride! That second quoteis my favourite. Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL nice pick. I think every girl of a certain age really loved him for a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Princess Bride and Wessley I think was one of the first characters I ever had a crush on (though I was older than 7) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading ladies. Felicia - I started young! Boy crazy, me?
    (I should point out I actually wasn't boy crazy - just for fictional boys! hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those quotes!! I have yet to read Princess Bride (I know, I know I'm super behind) but it is choosen as one of my challenges this year so that will change very soon! Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asssssssssssssssss Yoooooooooooouuu Wiiiiiiiiiiiiish!

    Oh, I love Westly. He certainly seems to deserve better than Buttercup. But if she makes him happy, then I'm happy for him.

    Thanks for sharing all those great quotes and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Apparently, I'm the only one who didn't saw The Princess Bride. .____.'
    GOD! I've to chang it now! I love good and romantic stories <3

    My Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  8. For those who haven't seen/watched The Princess Bride - it's a must! I promise, you won't regret it. Westley alone is enough reason, but there's also A LOT more awesomeness!
    Missie - I think Westley could do better than Buttercup too (man, she's dumb), but I also kinda love that he knows all her flaws and just how stupid she is, and loves her anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just posted my own all time hands down winner for Book Boyfriend and if you're interested you can find it here:
    Reading Lark's Book Boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Prince Eric is definitely the hottest disney prince...sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, right?! Those eyes, that voice... he even has a cute dog lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, The Princess Bride. I'm swooning at the thought. I used to watch that movie all the time. Westley is perfect and Cary Elwes was the perfect Westley. I'm so glad I watched the movie before I read the book, because then I was able to picture Cary Elwes when I was reading. Great MBB pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this film its so fantastic meeeeeeeeeeeeeerh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone give me an amen! WEstley is mine!!! *hissss!* Mine. My precious!

    ReplyDelete