Having read the entire series back-to-back over a few weeks last year, I'd been super excited about the release of the next Sookie Stackhouse book. But sadly, while it satisfied me to some extent, I can't help feeling a bit... disappointed.
Dead Reckoning follows Sookie's continuing (mis)adventures as she deals with her complex relationship with the (hot hot hot) vampire Eric, a rough patch at work, her newly-found fairy family living in her house, and more than a few crazy creatures out to get her. The thing is, none of this is particularly new; it's just variations on what's happened in previous books, and I have to admit I'm getting a bit over it. Of course, I lurved anything involving Eric, and found his part of the storyline gripping, but was unimpressed by how little it progressed and how some major issues were left hanging (obviously setting up the story for yet another book in the series). I find the whole fairy plot kind of dull, and paradoxically was frustrated by how much of the story it took up and also how much was left unresolved (again). Yes, Sookie got some answers, but most of those seemed unimportant compared to what wasn't answered.
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the book while I was reading it, but after I finished I kind of felt like, "Was that it?!" Although a couple of big things happened towards the end, the majority if the book moved quite slowly (for instance, I was shocked when I realised I was a third of the way through - it felt like all Sookie had done was clean her house and go to work!) and overall it seems to have been more of a set up for the next book than a story within itself.
Spoilery Talking Points
- I really, really hope Sookie doesn't leave Eric and get back with Bill, as the end seemed to hint at. I might just give up on the series if she does. I hate Bill, especially in the books.
- I'm so disappointed with the way Alcide's character has gone - he could have been a serious contender when he was first introduced, but now he's just such a tool box.
- I felt so sad for Pam! I also wanted to see more of her AND Eric.
- Was it just me, or were the two big showdowns at the end kind of anti-climatic? Sure, they were pretty violent (especially the assassination of Victor), but it almost seemed too easy for Sookie's side. I mean, they only had one casualty, and yet completely wiped out the other side?! I know they're the good guys and all, but it to me it was a bit too much of a Meyer-style cop out.
- Did I mention I'm over the fairies? It doesn't look like they're going anywhere anytime soon, though.
- After making a big thing about the portal being too small for anyone to travel through, it seemed dumb that they were able to dump a body - even a "small" one - in there.
- As for the cluviel dor, I predict Sookie will use it to get Eric out of his marriage to the Queen of Oklahoma. At least, I hope she does that - and DOESN'T get back with Bill. The thought also crossed my mind that she could maybe turn Eric into a human... but that's probably pretty implausible.
As a massive True Blood fan (it's the main reason I read the books in the first place), I pretty much pictured the entire cast as their characters. That's coz I think, for the most part, the casting is spot-on - especially for the guys.
|Sookie and her harem|
|A shirtless Eric, just coz|
|I love this pic of Jason - it sums up his character perfectly|
|How awesome is Pam?! I love her|
|Sure, Alcide is an a-hole in this book, but that doesn't mean we can't perve|