My Book Boyfriend is an awesome weekly meme hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader, all about fictional boys who make us swoon. This week I've chosen another one of my early loves: Gilbert Blythe from L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.
- He's the bully-turned-rival-turned-friend-turned-love-turned-soul-mate of one of my favourite characters of all time, Anne Shirley.
- He's described as a "tall boy, with curly brown hair, roguish hazel eyes and a mouth twisted into a teasing smile."
- He's pretty much perfect: smart, confident, witty, friendly... not to mention patient and devoted - he never stops trying to earn Anne's trust, respect, forgiveness and (eventually) love, despite her being a mean grudge-holder.
- He's selfless, too, giving up his teaching position in Avonlea because he thinks Anne needs it more. Awww.
- He's played by Jonathan Crombie in the amazing 1985 TV adaptation. Because I grew up watching this and only read the books as a teenager, Gilbert has never looked like anybody else to me.
Swoon-worthy quotesAs Anne of Green Gables focuses on the early teen years of Anne and Gilbert, there isn't too much to REALLY swoon over (that comes in later books - but if I delved into them we'd be here all month). Still, there are quite a few lovely, iconic scenes: