Wednesday 8 January 2014

Review: The Returned By Jason Mott


One day, out of the blue, all the dead return to the living, as though they'd never left. For elderly couple Harold and Lucille, it means seeing their long-dead son again - or does it? Is it really their son? And does it matter? Such are the questions that create the central drama at the heart of The Returned. It's not so much about the dead coming back to life, as it is about the impact the event has on the people around them and society at large. It's about grief and hope and love and fear and horror and joy and death and life.

Going into this, I was expecting it to be creepy, and while there is an uneasy tension and building sense of horror that pervades the novel, as humans react as they always do - by locking away and even destroying what they fear - The Returned is, more than anything, a truly beautiful book.

The writing is lovely, but it's the characters that really get under your skin. I love, love, love the fact that the hero of this book is an old lady - an ordinary old lady, at that. Lucille is one of my favourite characters in a long time. I also appreciated the exploration of Harold's mixed emotions, and the intrinsic sense of good that ruled his behaviour no matter what. A lot of the secondary characters were great, too, and their varied reactions to the Returned felt incredibly realistic.

The setting of a small town in the US was really effective in creating a claustrophobic and increasingly oppressive atmosphere that conveyed the confusion and fear felt by everyone. I also enjoyed the interludes featuring the stories of the Returned around the world - some of them were truly gut-wrenching - but I have to say the subplot involving the Reverend kind of disappointed me. It was interesting at first but just fizzled out. The main story, on the other hand, started out slow but built to a fantastic and memorable climax.The bittersweet ending, and indeed the book as a whole, really makes you think a lot about what it means to be alive, and what it takes to let go of those we love. It's the kind of book that stays with you long after you've finished it.

Rating: 4/5

Fine Print
Published: 2013, Harlequin MIRA
Source: Netgalley
Get It: Book Depository

Related
The Returned has been adapted into a TV series that is apparently coming out in March. It doesn't look anywhere near as good as the book, judging from the trailer, but it still looks worth a watch.


8 comments:

  1. I remember seeing this when it was posted on NetGalley, but I decided not to request it. It does sound really interesting, but it did look kind of slow and not the type of book I normally enjoy. I love that the main character is an older woman--you don't see that very often. I know that there is a show out now on IFC or Sundance that is English, maybe. It has the same premise of people returning after a long absence, but I don't think it is the same. I think the show revolves around kids who were in a bus accident. Regardless, this does sound pretty cool. Maybe I'll check it out sometime. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a similar idea but the two aren't connected. I really want to see the show too!

      Delete
  2. This sounds really great - I had assumed for some reason that it would be more of a straight up horror too - but it sounds quite moving. Bittersweet endings are my favourite too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very moving! I think you'd like it.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to order this book from the library. Very happy that you decided to review it. I positively loved the French series, but it's being extended to another season, and with this book I would just get the entire story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think this is connected to the French series, but I believe the premise is the same. Definitely worth a read!

      Delete
  4. Fab review Belle! This sounds really good - I remember being quite interested when I first heard about it at the Harlequin event, but for some reason I never got around to reading it. I like that it's deeper than just a horror novel and I will definitely pick it up soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Harlequin event got me interested too!

      Delete