Tuesday 6 December 2011

Challenge Alert: The 2012 TV Addict Reading Challenge


I watch a lot of TV. The fiancé and I are big fans of box set marathons. At the moment were going through Dexter, and when I discovered that its based on a book series, it got me thinking about how a LOT of my fave TV shows are based on books. And about how I want to read them. Then, whilst browsing the available challenges on A Novel Challenge, I had a light bulb moment: Why not turn my quest to read the book versions of my fave TV shows into a challenge?

So here it is! The rules are simple (coz Im not so good at following them myself):

-The challenge runs from January 1 2012 – December 31 2012. The idea is to read the books that TV shows are based on. Where it's a series, read the books that correspond to the TV seasons available (read the whole series if you want to, of course!). What you do from there is up to you: review the books, do book/show comparisons, review the TV shows, do recaps whatever tickles your fancy!

-Pick the level you want to achieve in this challenge from the list below, create a post on your blog about it and pop it in the sign-up linky! Non-bloggers are welcome to participate too – do your thang in the comments.

-Each month Ill create a post where you can come and link up your reviews or comment about the books youve read/shows youve watched as part of the challenge.

 -You dont have to plan in advance what books youre going to read - though of course you can if you want to! Here are some ideas (let me know if Ive missed your faves):

  • The Vampire Diaries by L. J. Smith. There are four books in the original series, plus The Return trilogy and one book in The Hunters trilogy (with two more to come). Theres also Stefans Diaries, which are four books (with more to come) based on the TV show. Just to make things easy. Ahem.
  • Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd. The series currently stands at nine books, with three more to come.
  • A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, which Game of Thrones is based on. There are five books out now, with two more coming. There are also six novellas connected to the series.
  • Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, which consists of six books.
  • ­The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris, which True Blood is based on. At the moment there are 11 books out in the series, with at least two more to come.
  • Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar. There are 13 books in the original series, 10 books in the It Girl spin-off series and four in the follow-up series, The Carlyles.
  • Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell.
  • The Secret Circle trilogy by L. J. Smith.
  • Chief Inspector Barnaby series by Caroline Graham. There are seven books in series, and the first five were the basis for Midsomer Murders. 
Challenge levels 
  1. Single play: Read the books that correspond to ONE TV show.
  2. Mini-series: Read the books that correspond to TWO TV shows.
  3. Series: Read the books that correspond to THREE TO FOUR TV shows.
  4. Soap opera: Read the books that correspond to FIVE OR MORE TV shows.
Since this is my own challenge, I'm going to aim high and go for "soap opera" level. Remember, you don't have to read the whole series to complete the challenge, just the books that correspond to the seasons of the TV show (e.g. the first four books of the Southern Vampire Mysteries, which formed the basis for the four seasons of True Blood that are currently available).

Sign up here!

25 comments:

  1. I'm in! : ) And I love the idea! <3

    (Mister Linky isn't showing my post yet, though. Huh.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, NOW he is. Umph! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea! I don't know if I'd be able to do it, but if I can, I think I'd go for the Vamp Diaries.... hm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll do this one! I've been wanting to read The Nine Lives of Chloe King since seeing the first season of the TV show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your idea! But I'm creating my blog in Portuguese language, so I still don't know if I'll put a link here...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I'm a huge fan of tv and books and ever since I saw The Legend of the Seeker, I've wanted to read the books it was based on. Now's my chance :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaa! Cute button. You're freaking brilliant. I didn't know Dexter was based on a book series. Cool. If only I watched more TV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee! I don't even have a TV, so I'd totally fail this one. Although I do have the GRRM books, and I've read a few Sookie Stackhouses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea!
    I would recommend the tv show "Bones" based on the books by Kathy Reichs ;)

    Valentina from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does anime count as a TV Show?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome idea! Can I participate if i'm not exactly a book blog? I nostly use my tumblr account so I thought I'd do it there. I'll add my link as soon as I make the post. I suggest The Sword of Time books which are the basis for Legend of the Seeker.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mimz, absolutely! You don't have to have a book blog (or any blog) to participate - everyone is welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome idea. Not sure if I'll participate, though. Most of the book-to-tv-shows I watch I've already read the corresponding books (up to current, anyway. I'll be reading Two Truths and a Lie (Lying Game #3) when it releases, anyway. Would something like that count, since I already read the others prior to the challenge? Think I'm a couple books behind on Sookie Stackhouse, too). Have to see what's left (I know there's a few).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kira, perhaps you could sign up for the first level and aim for one series, if that's easier for you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet. This is a really fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. GREAT idea! I am only gonna try for the Single Play tho for now. I have always wanted to read Dexter...so maybe that is what I will shoot for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wanted to sign up, but I seem to be having trouble :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! The linky has disappeared :( I'll take this as a sign up if you're keen to be involved! You can leave your links in the monthly posts x

      Delete
  18. If you do this one again next year (2013), I might participate. It'd give me a great excuse to read all those Disney Channel shows based books I have on my shelf, if they would count. And, also, when you say anime counts, would mangas/GNs count here or just books about the show, like the children's Pokemon books? (I much prefer mangas/GNs myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please read The Forbidden Game trilogy by L.J. Smith. The books are a must read, you won't regret it. :D And Julian is absolutely charming, captivating and mesmerizing. ;)

    ReplyDelete