Tuesday 5 July 2011

Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

I am in love with this book.
 

Majorly, totally, butt-crazy in love. I love the story, I love the writing, and I love the setting. I love the secondary characters, I love Anna and I love, love, love, love, LOVE Étienne St. Clair.

There are two things I don't love about it, though: the name and the cover. Unfortunately, those two things made me dismiss it for months. Sure, I had it in my TBR pile, because I was vaguely attracted to the description on the back - about a girl sent to boarding school in France, where she meets a totally swoon-worthy (and totally unavailable) boy. But, I'm ashamed to say, I judged it by the cover. That cover is cheesy. And the name? Also kinda cheesy. So I assumed the book would be cheesy, too. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. I enjoy a bit of cheesiness. Like I said, I still picked the book up. But I dismissed it as a back-up read, something to have on hand in case I was bored or in need of a quick fix of fluff.

Then I came across countless reviews that said it was oh-so-amazing. I began to think maybe I'd judged it too harshly. So, curious to see what all the fuss was about, I picked it up on Sunday, at around 5pm. By 1am I was more than half way through and deliriously tired, but still had to force myself to put it down. Because I was already in love. The story was charming, the characters real, the chemistry sizzling, and woven together it was all so refreshingly normal. But that doesn't mean it was ordinary. Far from it. Yep, I admit it: I was really wrong about this book. Which is my hard luck, because it means I spent months with this awesomeness right under my nose and didn't know it. Sure Anna and the French Kiss is fun and it's fluffy, but it's so not cheesy - and it's most definitely not a back-up read. It's a must-read. Like, now!

Rating: 5/5

Eye Candy
I pictured Georgia Jagger and Tom Sturridge (pre his bearded hobo phase) as Anna and Étienne, respectively. I know she's supposed to have dark hair and he's supposed to have dark eyes, but I couldn't get Georgia and Tom out of my head. Hey, it worked for me - I think they're both gorgeous.





Fine Print
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Penguin
Published: 2011
Get It: Fishpond


Images via Fuck Yeah Georgia Jagger and Tom Sturridge Online

17 comments:

  1. I have this one but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I'll have to get to it soon. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I was embarrassed to be seen with this book but that all changed when I actually picked it up! Super glad that you loved it too :)

    I'm like going through and Anna Obsession phase :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh I got to read this asap!!Looks super adorable and love the fact that the setting is in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I agree the cover and the name give the wrong picture about this book. And Tom Sturridge would make a great Etienne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tiffany & Jillian - Drop everything you're doing and go read it now. ;)

    Vy - I'm totally obsessed! I'm actually kinda sad I've finished it and contemplating rereading it already.

    Nic - Thanks! Yes, it's crazy, the book is set in one of the most gorgeous cities in the world and that's all they could come up with?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I'm following you now from the Literary Blog Directory. My blog is http://www.bookwormfamily.com/ if you want to check it out.

    Just curious too - how is the romance in the book? I don't like romances that are or lean toward erotica. I like more "clean" romances.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that the worst part of the book is the cover and title. The title is the worst I think. I also love how normal it is.
    I don't know about Jagger for Anna. I don't picture her that pretty. But Sturridge is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle - Thanks! It's very clean - some kissing and talking about sex (they're teenagers, after all) but that's it.

    Alison - Oh, I thought she was pretty! The way he was checking her out the first morning, and other guys seemed to like her too. But hey, I'm superficial, I always picture characters as pretty even if they're not meant to be lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard so much about this book... I so need to read it. And with you posting your book boyfriend above... I'm wishlisting it now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mel, you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's super lovely.. i'm so in love with Etiennne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If my love for this book could be measured, it's as tall as the Eiffel Tower. Seriously. I've raved about it for weeks on my review and other posts. But I've yet to rave my love for Etienne on BB. So your Etienne better watch out! Haha. Jk.

    Your choice of Anna and St. Clair seems spot on. Well, except Anna's hair. But she can always dye it. And I think I've seen Tom (pre his bearded hobo phase) in a movie or something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Rockee - lol! You might have seen Tom in The Boat That Rocked? He was also in a movie with Rachel Bilson. And waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day he was the little boy in Gulliver's Travels. Plus he's besties with RPattz. Obsessed, me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this book sososo much I couldn't stop reading it. It was romantic, funny, sad and a bunch of other emotions. This book is really worth buying. I can't wait to read Lola and the boy next door. Stephanie Perkins is an amazing author and everyone needs to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a fun book! I didn't enjoy Lola as much but it's still a lot of fun :)

      Delete
  15. i loveeee tom sturridge soo much i'm going out tomorrowe to get it to read, im sooooooo exited i hope its good.

    ReplyDelete