Tuesday 31 July 2012

Review: Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris

Warning: Spoilers for previous books.


I read most of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series in a binge a couple of years ago when I was going into massive True Blood withdrawal. While I much preferred the show, I enjoyed the series and eagerly awaited the next book. I got my hands on Dead Reckoning as soon as I could, but I was left extremely unsatisfied. As a result I wasn't exactly hanging to read Deadlocked, the latest installment in this seemingly never-ending series. The fact that it got pretty "meh" reviews didn't help. But when a friend gave me a copy I figured I may as well get it over and done with. So here we are.

Deadlocked has cemented the fact that I'm well and truly over this series. Harris needs to wrap this shit up. I feel like it should have ended at least three books ago - she could have even kept the storyline in tact, coz if you remove all the inane and pointless details you cut at least a third off the length. I got so sick of reading about Sookie's chores and whether her grass was dry or her tyres were flat. At this point it doesn't even add anything to her character, other than to reinforce that without her supe buddies she's incredibly mundane.

The story, such as it was, focuses on the fairy and vampire political problems that were introduced in previous books. Unfortunately, the main characters in these situations - Claude, Niall and Eric - were notably absent from the majority of the book and much of the action happens off screen. What we're left with is a whole lot of Sookie wondering what the hell is going on, talking to various people on the phone and sometimes face to face and, well, paying bills, cooking, cleaning... sleeping. Oh, wait, that was just me, halfway through the book. There weren't even any sexy times to keep things mildly entertaining. 

I've never been a fan of the fairy plot, and was happy when I heard it would be resolved in Deadlocked. Too bad the resolution is the most anti-climactic thing I've read since Breaking Dawn. Seriously, Charlaine Harris? We had to put up with this fairy crap through multiple books for that?! So not worth it.

As for the vamp sitch, I thought the whole murder investigation and Eric's attempts to escape both being arrested and being married off would make for an interesting plot. I thought wrong. As I've already mentioned, Eric is mostly absent from the book and the plotline didn't really go anywhere. BILL was in Deadlocked more, and I wanted to throw things when Sookie started getting all friendly with him again. He freaking RAPED her. He should have stayed in Peru. I was also disappointed to see Quinn reappear. And Sam is just so dopey. I know many suspect he will be Sookie's endgame, and if that's the case I may have to hurt a book.

I'll read the next in the series, because it's the last and I want to see how everything comes together. Or if it does. But it's just not fun anymore.

Rating: 2/5

Eye Candy
At least this gave me a good excuse to post these pics (like I need one):







12 comments:

  1. I haven't heard much good about this installment. She just kind of us has us by the book balls, because we are check off kind of people. Series. Done. Great rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totally has us by the book balls! That is the greatest way to put it.

      Delete
  2. At this point, I'm only reading them because I've read ALL of them and I don't want to ruin the time I've invested. But DAMN she makes them hard to tolerate lately. I used to love these books, and still love the early ones, but if I, like you, read one more chapter on how she paid the bills and made a casserole, I will throw a book out the window (I'm almost positive all she did in Deadlocked was cook or serve food. I don't need to know how you arrange the ketchup bottles on Merlotte's tables, Sook). I was so disappointed in the Eric storyline and by wrapping up everyone with a happy ending (Tara + twins, weddings, etc.), I feel pretty certain of where she's ending with Sookie as far as who she ends up with. Yawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely. Glad it wasn't just me. I just don't understand what possesses Harris to go into such insignificant details - surely that must be as boring to write as it is to read?
      I'm very disappointed in the Eric storyline too and I think you're right about the direction Sookie's story is heading. If it's what I'm thinking I won't be impressed.

      Delete
  3. I'm right there with you on this one. The series is losing its hold on me. I'll read the last one because it's the last, but I'm glad it's ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most fans feel this way unfortunately.

      Delete
  4. No sexy times!! Umm... yeah, I agree, this series should have ended already. It's getting painful. I have enough chores of my own to do without worrying about, and reading Deadlocked sounds like it would also be a chore, so that's why I've avoided it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chore is exactly what it feels like. No sexy times, seriously - there's a brief mention of it but she described washing the dishes at greater length. WTF.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I hate it when you invest so much time into a series, only for it to end in the most pathetic way possible! I felt that was the case with Twilight too! Sigh...

    Thanks for the review, dearie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched True Blood season four over the past two days (shameful, I know), and I noticed Sookie reading a Charlaine Harris novel in one of the episodes. Which was hilarious and meta. I can't say I'm very drawn to the book series, though (I am not generally big on lengthy book series)... especially if it trails off to lameness like your review suggests! (I hate that with TV series as well. A lackluster final season is so disappointing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great moment in Season 4! The TV show is much better than the book series IMO, so I'd stick with that just personally. I really wouldn't recommend starting this series because of the way it ends.

      Delete