Saturday 6 August 2011

On My Wishlist


On My Wishlist, hosted by Book Chick City, is a weekly meme that keeps track of the books we want! I have a serious addiction to buying books, so hopefully by keeping track of what I want without actually purchasing (yet) I'll curtail my problem and see my TBR pile shrink a bit instead of growing faster than I can read. Here's what I'm currently itching to get...



Summary: Raised by an unstable father who keeps the family constantly on the move, Sam Border hasn't been in a classroom since the second grade. He's always been the rock for his younger brother Riddle, who stopped speaking long ago and instead makes sense of the world through his strange and intricate drawings. It's said that the two boys speak with one voice--and that voice is Sam's.

Then, Sam meets Emily Bell, and everything changes. The two share an immediate and intense attraction, and soon Sam and Riddle find themselves welcomed into the Bell's home. Faced with normalcy for the first time, they know it's too good to last.

Reviewer that made me want it: Audrey from Holes in my Brain



Summary: Gillian is fifteen, crippled by a tragic accident but dreams of swimming across oceans.

Jacob is fourteen and yearns for his brother's life.
Frankie is fifteen and in love with the new deckhand on her father's boat.
As the story of these three desires intertwine over the course of one lazy summer in a small coastal town, Cargo is by turns heart-wrenching, beautiful and explosive.
Reviewer that made me want it: Nic at Irresistible Reads

Summary: The Victorian language of flowers was used to express emotions: honeysuckle for devotion, azaleas for passion, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it has been more useful in communicating feelings like grief, mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings.

Now eighteen, Victoria has nowhere to go, and sleeps in a public park, where she plants a small garden of her own. When her talent is discovered by a local florist, she discovers her gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But it takes meeting a mysterious vendor at the flower market for her to realise what's been missing in her own life, and as she starts to fall for him, she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, and decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.
The Language of Flowers is a heartbreaking and redemptive novel about the meaning of flowers, the meaning of family, and the meaning of love.
Reviewer that made me want it: Nomes at Ink Crush

Summary: 17-year-old Lila has two secrets she's prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she's been in love with her brother's best friend, Alex, since forever. Or thereabouts. After a mugging on the streets of South London goes horribly wrong and exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust - her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they've found them. Trying to uncover the truth of why her mother was killed, and the real remit of The Unit, Lila becomes a pawn in a dangerous game. Struggling to keep her secrets in a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone - there are others out there just like her - people with special powers -and her mother's killer is one of them.

Reviewer that made me want it: Mocha at A Cupcake and a Latte

11 comments:

  1. Wow, really great pics this week! :)

    View my On My Wishlist HERE

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these sound really great especially Hunting Lila.

    On My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! Now I want to read The Language of Flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll Be There sounds really intriguing and I had Hunting Lila on my list before. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your choices! I also want to read Hunting Lila and I'll be There :)

    Here's my Wishlist this week

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Hunting Lila summary, totaly going to my list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting selection of books! This week I'm revisiting authors I enjoyed when I first started blogging about books. Please come see which book I'm featuring from my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really want the Language of Flowers and Hunting Lila is amazing! honestly, pick it up in your next purchase!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also have The Language of Flowers on my list. I have the US cover, but I really want the UK one with the girl holding the polaroid. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want to read The Language of Flowers too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. And now you've got me running off to Amazon to add Flowers to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete