Saturday 29 October 2011

On My Wishlist: A Helluva Lot!


On My Wishlist, hosted by Book Chick City, is a weekly meme that keeps track of the books we want! I'm currently on a self-imposed book buying ban, so my wishlist is growing at a faster rate than ever...



Summary: Helen is a disembodied spirit who "attaches" herself to humans in order to possess their bodies. Unable to remember the circumstances of her death, and with no idea why she's in this precarious state of limbo, she knows this much: she's been haunting the living world for 130 years. But when Helen inhabits the body of a high school teacher, everything changes. For though he remains quite unaware of her presence, a certain boy in his class is clearly able to see Helen. This realization, and Helen's subsequent introduction to him, rocks her world.
Reviewer that made me want it: Missie at The Unread Reader, via My Book Boyfriend



Summary: Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.
Reviewer that made me want it: Abbey at Abbey's Bookshelf, via My Book Boyfriend



Summary: For fifteen years, Amber, Drew, and Trevor have barely been able to recall—let alone explain—what happened the terrifying night they decided to explore the old, abandoned Lowry House. According to local legend, the house was cursed by a dark past and inhabited by evil. It burst into flames on the night of their visit, leaving the friends traumatized and nearly dead with only vague memories of the frightening events they had witnessed inside. Now, on the eve of their high school reunion, they have gathered to reopen their investigation and figure out, once and for all, what took place that fateful night . . . before the supernatural entity they escaped threatens to overtake them again.
Reviewer that made me want it: Melissa at Books and Things



Summary: Hartley Grace Featherstone is having a very bad day. First she finds out that her boyfriend is cheating on her with the president of the Herbert Hoover High School Chastity Club. Then he's pegged as the #1 suspect in a murder. And if that weren't enough, now he's depending on Hartley to clear his name. Seriously? Not cool.

But as much as Hartley wouldn't mind seeing him squirm, she knows he's innocent, and she's the only one who can help him. Along with her best friend, Sam, and the school's resident Bad Boy, Chase, Hartley starts investigating on her own. But as the dead bodies begin to pile up, the mystery deepens, the suspects multiply, and Hartley begins to fear that she may be the killer's next victim.

Reviewer that made me want it: Lesley at My Keeper Shelf, via My Book Boyfriend


Summary: When a strange boy tumbles down a river embankment and lands at her feet, seventeen-year-old adrenaline junkie Deznee Cross snatches the opportunity to piss off her father by bringing the mysterious hottie with ice blue eyes home.

Except there's something off with Kale. He wears her shoes in the shower, is overly fascinated with things like DVDs and vases, and acts like she'll turn to dust if he touches her. It's not until Dez's father shows up, wielding a gun and knowing more about Kale than he should, that Dez realizes there's more to this boy--and her father's "law firm"--than she realized.

Kale has been a prisoner of Denazen Corporation--an organization devoted to collecting "special" kids known as Sixes and using them as weapons--his entire life. And, oh yeah, his touch? It kills. The two team up with a group of rogue Sixes hellbent on taking down Denazen before they're caught and her father discovers the biggest secret of all. A secret Dez has spent her life keeping safe.

A secret Kale will kill to protect.

Reviewers that made me want it: Jacinda and Jasmine at The Reading Housewives of Indiana and Jen at In the Closet with a Bibliophile


Summary: It's 1946 and Juliet Ashton can't think what to write next. Out of the blue, she receives a letter from Dawsey Adams of Guernsey - by chance, he's acquired a book that once belonged to her - and, spurred on by their mutual love of reading, they begin a correspondence. When Dawsey reveals that he is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, her curiosity is piqued and it's not long before she begins to hear from other members. As letters fly back and forth with stories of life in Guernsey under German Occupation, Juliet soon realizes that the society is every bit as extraordinary as its name.
Reviewer that made me want it: Hanna at Booking In Heels 


Summary: Gemma Stone is convinced that it's always unseemly to chuck a birkett and that it's actually insane to chuck one in front of a complete stranger. But that was before she fell for a boy who barely knows she exists, before she auditioned for the school play, before she met the family of freaks her sister Debbie is marrying into, before the unpredictable Raven De Head took an interest in her, and before she realized that at the right time and for the right reason, a birkett could be a beautiful thing.
Reviewer that made me want it: Jenny at Alternate Readality

16 comments:

  1. I've read The Summer I Turned Pretty and Touch - both of them are really, really good! :)

    Liza @ Book Crook Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want all these so so so much!
    the cover of a certain slant of light is so gorgeous!
    i think you will like The summer i turned pretty, two very interesting brothers to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A certain slant of light sounds so intriguing. I have to get this book! Thanks :)
    And I love the blurb for Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. What an hilarious title.

    Have a great weekend,
    Nimue

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I want The Summer I Turned Pretty and Guernsey Literary and Potato peel pie society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The summer I turned pretty, Deadly cool and A certain slant of light are book I can't wait to read. Hope you get all of your wishes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Potato Peel Society is on mine too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Certain Slant Of Light is AMAZING and, of course, you know how I feel about The STGYITCLI. Sorry way to long of a name to type out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Certain Slat and Touch are on the top of my wishlist! Thanks for the shout out! I hope you get to read Ghost Trackers. I enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Certain Slant of Light sounds great. It was a slow week of reading. I'm wishing for a picture book again. Please come see what I'm wishing for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am on a book buying ban, too :-( But when you get off of it, I strongly recommend that you pick up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I usually only read YA books, but I consider this book to be one of my favorites. Any book lover will really appreciate it because a love of reading and books is very evident throughout the story!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A certain slant of light sounds so intriguing. I have to get this book! Thanks : Touch is on the top of my wishlist

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never heard of A Certain Slant of Light. It sounds really amazing! Thanks for mentioning it so I can put it on my TBR. Touch is one I've been interested in, too.

    Thanks for visiting my blog today, and good luck with getting your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Summer I Turned Pretty is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been wanting to read Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society too :)


    anji @ book cover justice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deadly Cool is high on my wishlist too, and The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year looks awesome! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A Certain Slant of Light caught my eye, and the plot sounds really interesting! I love the idea of the boy seeing her behind his teacher's eyes - so creepy!

    My Wishlist

    ReplyDelete