Wednesday 10 August 2011

My Book Boyfriend: Gale Hawthorne


My Book Boyfriend is hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader. It's all about fictional boys who make us swoon. I've featured Peeta from The Hunger Games as my book boyfriend before, but I'm dedicating this week to Gale. I was pretty angry with him at the end of Mockingjay, but one of my friends is reading the series at the moment, and her swooning over Gale reminded me of how much I loved him in the first two books. He's handsome, strong, responsible, caring and has a great sense of humour (this seems to get lost along the way through the series, sadly). So while I still love Peeta a little  more, Gale deserves some time in the spotlight...


Swoon-worthy Quotes

"I turn and see Gale has lifted Prim off the ground and she's thrashing in his arms. 'Up you go, Catnip,' he says, in a voice he's fighting to keep steady, and then he carries Prim off toward my mother."

"When he opens his arms I don't hesitate to go into them. His body is familiar to me - the way it moves, the smell of wood smoke, even the sound of his heart beating I know from quiet moments on a hunt - but this is the first time I really feel it, lean and hard-muscled against my own."

"He tilts his forehead down to rest against mine and pulls me closer. His skin, his whole being radiates heat from being so near the fire, and I close my eyes, soaking in his warmth. I breathe in the smell of snow-dampened leather and smoke and apples, the smell of all those wintry days we shared before the Games. I don't try to move away. Why should I anyway? His voice drops to a whisper. 'I love you.' That's why." 


*My Gale is played by Gregg Sulkin. I think Liam Hemsworth looks like an awesome Gale, but Gregg is how I pictured him in the book and I'm sticking with him for now.

13 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS!!! This is exactly how I picked Gale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh ~ that last quote.

    i love gale. hard. thankfully most people are all about peeta SO GALE CAN BE MINE <3 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belle, love it! After all my crazy Mockingjay ranting today this post has made it all worth it. You're the best :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read these books yet, but I think I need to move them up in my TBR pile!

    Here's mine: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-book-boyfriend-29.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like your pick for Gale, Belle. I think Gregg Sulkin is more of what I pictured too.

    I was kind of angry at him too after Mockingjay, but then again, he is probably one of the most misunderstood character in literature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a Peeta fan myself but when he wasn't around I always found myself being drawn towards Gale. It was emotional turmoil. I love the first quote.

    http://lily-bookhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Gale. I adored Peeta too, but there was just something about Gale that drew me in. SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT: I was made at Suzanne Collins for the ending of Mockingjay (though I had no issue with who Katniss chose) because I thought Gale's character just sort of petered out at the end and I felt it wasn't true to his character. Plus, you know, he was hot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love Gale, although I too am definitely Team Peeta!

    Great post. reminded me of why I liked him most in book 1.

    Thanks for visiting my blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hm... I need to move that book up the tbr list. :) I just love his lips! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked Gale even if I am team Peeta. The guy you have picked it gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw. You know, in a weird way, I sort of wish we really knew more about Gale. I have always felt like the love triangle between him, Katniss, and Peeta wasn't legit, simply because we barely know Gale! And he sounds like such a nice, fantastic guy - so I feel bad for him! Hey, maybe a spinoff could be in the works ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohh that last quote is so sweet.
    I still need to read the hunger games, i must do it soon.
    I'm not sure wether i will like Peeta or Gale but jusging by the actors chosen for the movie i might lean in Peeta's direction (i've always had a thing for josh hutchinson)
    great post as always Belle!
    - abbey

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never heard Sulkin. Wow...I thought I was up on all the actors. He's exactly how I picture Gale, too. I haven't seen Hemsworth in any film roles, but I have faith he will do a good job in the movie. I loooove this series. It's my favorite along with Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete